Friday, February 25, 2011

gratitude.

friday is always my grocery shopping day. i used to resent, even dread, the walk to and from the store. lugging heavy bags of groceries {usually in the rain} was not exactly my idea of fun. however, within the last few weeks, something inside of me changed. is different.

it all started several weeks ago, when i was having a difficult time schlepping my full grocery bags back home. i was a few blocks away from my apartment, waiting for the light to change so i could cross the street. my shoulders and back were beginning to ache and my fingers were going numb from desperately clinging to my bags. to make matters worse, it had just started to rain. the light finally changed and i started to trudge forward, when out of the corner of my eye, i spotted an elderly homeless man pushing a shopping cart full of his belongings. now, living in seattle, one grows accustomed to seeing the homeless, so i just continued on my way.

yet, this time, i couldn't get the image of the homeless man out of my mind. within a matter of minutes, i would be back inside my heated apartment. with running water, a comfortable bed, and a refrigerator full of fresh food. this man, on the other hand, toted around his entire life in one small cart. how many nights was he sleeping on the street? in the cold. the rain. did he ever get to enjoy a warm, home-cooked meal?

with that realization, i was reminded just how extremely fortunate i am. my aching back and throbbing fingers became physical signs of how blessed i was. to be healthy enough to walk. to possess enough money to buy an abundance of food. to have the opportunity to attend university. to have a home to return to. a family that loves me. friends who support me.

it is often way too easy to take the ordinary little things in life, things that we are so used to, for granted. and it is amazing how it only takes one seemingly-routine happening to remind us to be thankful for what we have.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
today was an absolutely gorgeous day. friday. grocery day. the sun was shining brightly and the february air was brisk. cold enough to see your breath. as i carried my groceries home from the store, i felt the familiar twinge in my back. but, i also felt grateful. and capable. and alive.

i have truly grown to appreciate my friday grocery days.