Thursday, November 17, 2011

the unsinkable molly brown.

is anyone else as excited as i am for the theatrical rerelease of titanic?!

i vividly remember when titanic originally came to town. {the film, that is. not the actual ship in 1912, silly.} the year was 1997. i was in second grade. celine dion's famous ballad, 'my heart will go on,' was a staple of music class. i got my first pet: a rat, molly brown...named after the american socialite and survivor of the titanic, "the unsinkable molly brown. {i wasn't an elementary school history buff. we just happened to learn all about the titanic tragedy in my second grade classroom. also, turns out that rat wasn't quite as unsinkable as the real molly brown. and yes, i'm going to completely skip over the fact that my first pet was a rat.}

pet rat aside, i remember being quite upset that my parents wouldn't allow me to see titanic in theaters. obviously it's completely reasonable for an eight year old to see a rated 'R' movie. especially one filled with death by iceberg and steamy love scenes. {do i detect a hint of sarcasm?} instead, my friends and i were granted permission to watch the 1953 film version of titanic. all 98 minutes of black & white and very 'PG' goodness.

april 6, 2012 is my chance for second-grade me to finally see titanic in theaters. all 194 minutes. and maybe even in 3D.